THE COVER OF THE PROPHETIC JUBBAH GIFTED TO Darul uloom Deoband

In Constantinople from the time of the Ottoman empire, same precious prophetic relics like the sword, flag and the auspicious jubbah have been pre­served in the royal treasury. These relics had been entrusted in the be­ginning of the tenth century hijri by the last Abbasid caliph, Al-Mutawakki! al-Allah, to Sultan Salim I, while transferring the caliphate to him. The Otto­man Sultans used to preserve these prophetic relics with  them as a sanad for the right of caliphate. For the sake of preservation a cover of thin cloth is put on the auspicious jubbah from which ii is clearly visible. It is a statement of the envoy of the Ottoman empire that at the time of seeing it the greatness of the auspicious jubbah is highly regarded and no man however great in rank dare touch or kiss it". The people who get a glimpse of it and kiss, their action is confined to this cover only. It was a practice of the Ottoman Sultans that they, along with the ministers and officers of the state, used to have a look at these prophetic relics once a year on the 15th of the Ramazan al-Mubarak. The cover which was placed on the jubbah was sometimes gifted as a benediction to special persons on behalf of the great sultan. How much auspicious and a source of blessing and good this cover must be due to having been in touch with the auspicious jubbah is quite evident.

Now this jubbah is being enshrined in an old royal palace, Top Kapi, in Constantinople (moderh Ankara). Several relics of the Holy Prophet (Allah's peace and blessings be on him) are in safe custody in this palace, which had been built in 863/1458 by Sultan Muhammad  Fateh. For a long time this palace was in use as a caliphal palace of ihe Turkish Sul­tans; later on it was converted into a museum. Top Kapi is a word of Turkish language, meaning "the Gate of the Cannon".

There are various halls in the Top Kapi Museum. In one of them are lying two swords of the Holy Prophet (Allah's peace and blessings be on him) in a silver box. In the same hall there are two boxes of gold, one having an auspicious hair of the Hoiy Prophet (Allah's peace and blessings be on him) and his seal which had been prepared by cutting cornelian. The seal is of rose-coloured cornelian and ovoid in shape. The ether box encases his flag. The Holy Prophet's (Allah's peace and bless­ings be on him) auspicious jubbah and precious letter have been framed in gold frames. It is that auspicious letter which the Holy Prophet (Allah's peace and blessings be on him) had sent to Muqauqis, the monarch of Egypt. A French archaeologist, Barthelmy, had come by this auspi­cious letter in Egypt in A.D. 1850. He presented it to Sultan Abd al-Majeed Khan (1255/1839 - 1277(/1861) and the latter, having put it safely in a gold box, deposited it in the Top Kapi Museum.

In that section of the Top Kapi where these auspicious relics have been enshrined, the following passage is written on the door in four langu­ages: Turkish, German, English and French:—

"For the past hundreds of years this place has had great importance and value in the eyes of the Muslims. All the relics enshrined here are holy and worthy to be held in generation.It is expected of you that at this sacred place you would observe sil­ence, gravity and solemnity and would not do anything indecent here".

During the spell of war with Balkan, Darul uloom Deoband had rendered valuable service from India to the Turkish wounded persons and refugees through the Red Crescent Society, and thereby had much impressed Sul­tan Muhammad (1324/1908 — 1336(7191 8) of Turkey. So his majesty the Sultan expressed his impression thus that he presented the greatest aus­picious gift of the Turkish empire — the cover of the holy Jubbah — to Darul uloom Deoband. Khalid Kahlil Bek, the envoy of the Ottoman empire, residing at Bombay, came to Deoband on 16th Rabi al-Awwal. A.H. 1332 and presented the auspicious gift on behalf of his majesty the Sultan. 

This cover is in the form of a large handkerchief. The cloth is white, very thin and of a fine design. In the middle is written in bold black hand the following couplet:
 

 
and on the borders are written couplets in the Turkish language. 

This capital stock of good and blessing has been kept in a very beau­tiful wooden case in the treasury of the Darul uloom, and since the day it has come to the Darul uloom, its auspiciousness and blessings are being observed very often. 

The History Of Dar al Ulum Deoband 1981 Volume 1 by Sayyid Mahboob Rizvi and translated into English by Prof. Murtaz Husain F. Quraishi. page 183



Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »